A Coreographer Named Jay Kim

10:37

(sorry I'm about to write in my broken English :p, well just because I want to heheh)


So, this time I'm going to write about a coreographer named Jay Kim, a coreographer, dancer and instructor at 1 Million  Dance from South Korea. This is the  second time I get interest to a modern dancer(the first time I was in love with Maddie Ziegler dance).
Actually I get bored easily if I watch a solo contemporary dance. I usually watch western dancer from youtube and no one capture my heart. So, 1Million Dance is my first experience watching asian modern dancer. And the way they create their dancing video is on high class level, it's like a professional music video, so yeah, I fall in love with that dance studio.

And then, I stumbled upon this guy video. Jay Kim dance using Give Me Love Max Schneider cover song. I don't expect anything, seriously. But after I clicked the video, daaamn, I fall in love with the dance. I almost crying. I don't know what is that but it touched my soul. It's so beautiful.









You see? Well, art is subjective and again, everyone taste are different. Not much people around me appreciate his dance like I do. And many people from youtube comment section criticize him too. They say something like he's too stiff, his dancing is awkward, his movement like steel etc. But actually, that's the point. That's what catch my eyes on him. To me, his movement is unique. The way his dance is mesmerizing. He has sense in his dance. He could delivered his emotion well to the audience.  



He has such amazing calmness. The truth that he could dance in other coreographer video with playfull and full power like in Dessert - Lia Kim choreo, or Where Are U Now - Bongyoung choreo, it mean he can dance every choreo and style, but when it comes to his own style he choose the calm one. For someone who can playfully dance in Dessert video, I amazed that he actually in a 'calm zone' dance style.
I always amazed if he dance solo with slow music. He can managed slowly, steady, and smooth movement without feeling rushed or hesitate. He create such an elegant dance. 
I think I might be obsessed with him , lol, because I'm dying to know what he actually like. I mean, I stalk his instagram and all his photo is about his dance or his modelling photoshoot. He doesn't show his private life like the other dancer. I mean even Bong Park take a selfie hahaha. I want to see Jay Kim as a normal human :p  I want to know his real personality (oh God who am I? I asked too much hahahah) I want to know what he feel, how he view the world, what he think, why he choose different style? Why he choose that style? Is it the only way he expressed himself? Why so stiff in your movement? Are you as stiff as your dance style? How you managed such calmness? And sense? Aaaaa I really want to talk and chat with him. Well, I do sounds creepy hahahah



And here his other coreography. But still, his solo - contemporary - lyrical dance is the best among these!






















Well, anyway as a non - dancer, I always think tat a dance or theatre performance only at the point where the audience watch them live. That's the best way to see dance or theatre art, because when you see it live, you feel the ambience, the feeling, the emotion. And yeah, when we watch stage performance art from a video, the 'magic' isn't there anymore. 
But it's different with 1Million Dance. They create a video of dancing, with such a pro style. So all artist from 1Mdance could delivered their emotion to the audience well. They make the youtube video as their stage. And it works! 
So, for me, if a stage performance artist could break the 'screen' and keep the magic in there, they're an amazing artist! I'll write about 1Million Dance in my next post, someday if Im not being too lazy hahahaha









Gotir, 12 May 2016
gotiroting25@yahoo.co.id
(Im secretly hoping that Jay Kim would read this and send me e-mail :p )











You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images